Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles


Around October I decided that I really wanted to go visit my brother at school in the Chicago area.  Joe and I bought two plane tickets and reserved for a lap child.  Time went by quickly and this past week we packed for our journey.  Side note that some may not know about Joe and I we love to travel we do it a lot, but this experience was very different!  Joe and I discussed what the best option for packing would be.  We decided to only do carry-ons (mistake 1)!  We had it all packed perfectly, two suitcases, two personal bags, a diaper (which is free), stroller (also free), and car seat.  Early Friday morning we got to the airport checked -in at the desk.  Then journeyed through security.  Security for the first time in Joe and my life was chaos. Joe dragged the stroller and car seat behind the suitcases.  I held Luke with the two personal bags and diaper bag!  It was very challenging.  Once we arrived to the Chicago O'Hare airport we hopped on the Blue Line into the city where my brother was going to pick us up.  It was a very smelly train ride.  I have been on the train before, but with a child I was very aware of the dirtiness of the train.  We got off at Logan Square and meet my brother.  He picked us up, took us to a great Chicago pizza place, then we started our journey to Dekalb where my brother goes to school.  It took us almost 45 minutes to just get out of the city.  Once in Dekalb we were able to relax.  My brother, Uncle Logan, showed us around NIU campus. We went to a place called Fatty's for dinner which was oh so yummy!  We had a great weekend.  Sunday night we returned to the city.  We stayed at the Inn of Chicago.  It was an amazing deal.  We were located on the 16th floor in a corner room.  We could see Sears Tower out our window and Lake Michigan out the other.  It was a perfect way to end the weekend, but little did we know the weekend was not over.  Our check out was not till noon on Monday.  Our plan was to relax in our hotel room then go to lunch and get on the train.  However the airlines had other plans for us.  I woke up to get us breakfast.  Joe checked his phone to see the time when he received the message that our flight had been canceled.  They booked us on the flight to Huntsville at 7:30 which actually leave at 9:30!  Luke did a great job in the airport and on the plane.  The first flight he talked to everyone.  Second flight he slept!  Overall the trip was great!  Joe and I learned a few tips that I will share with those traveling with a child.

A cup from the airline was so entertaining to Luke!  
He would put it over his mouth and yell into it!

Tips: 

1. Don't try to do a carry-on! Pay for a checked bag.
2. Have a bottle ready for take-off and landing. It helps with popping ears.
3. In diaper bag, pack extra formula, baby food, etc. in case of lay over. 
4.  Also have back-up plan for flights.  
5. Books, rattles, and other toys are great for the flight.  
Luke loved looking out the window!


Lake Michigan out of our hotel room window

Sears Tower out of the other window! 



1 comment:

  1. Great blog. Enjoyed your story with pictures. It looks like a good time and everyone learned some lessons for next trip. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete